September 11, 2009

IT TAKES A WIZARD, SECOND REVIEW

Well, maybe it isn't as much a review as it is an opinion, but again, it is by a real person who forked over her own money instead of getting a review copy (what? There were no review copies? Oh dear!) What this little line does teach us is the importance of good art in comic books, especially when the author is a nobody. When the battle is fought on the book shelves, you have about thirty seconds to make an impression. Cover. Opening the book. Flipping through it. A buy or not. That's it. That's all you get. The author is at this point an unknown quantity, and thus his/her impact will only become apparent the next time the same reader sees something on the bookshelf, done by the same author. Any author/reader relationship needs trust, and that trust needs to be earned by the author. I hope I will earn that trust with my prose books as well.

I really liked this book. I thought it was a neat way of doing magic and a cool story. In truth, I picked up the book because I liked the art.
 4/5

The reader can be found here, and she is well-read if one takes into account all the other books she has read, and truth be told, some of her ratings are rather harsh, so I am doubly proud of the fact she didn't hate mine and Sean's.