September 7, 2009

TURN MY BACK TOWARDS THEM ALL

If by some quirk you have reached this blog through the Amazon Author pages, maybe having read It Takes A Wizard or 10 Beautiful Assassins Version 0.9 (the not really the book it should have been version) and are wondering what else may be forthcoming in comic book form by this author, wonder no more.

Nothing. That's right. Nothing.

I quit, or at least I quit the comic book scene (there are a few pitches out there closer to my native home, in France, and some may come to fruition, but if they are not, well, c'est la vie, non? Don't worry, the French and the Germans will still have the Madonna With The Big Boobies. And if you don't know what that is referencing, shame on you!), but when it comes to America, I am done.

I wish I could say it was a difficult decision to make, just as I wish I could say that the past two years and three months were fun. Stating these things would be lying in both instances. It wasn't fun, and yes, it was an easy decision to make.

In a way, the buyout of Marvel by Disney was one of the main factors that made me think about what creation is, what creation can and should be in the medium of comic books, and if I am willing to whore myself out. In the US market, things are devolving. I know, I know ...how can he make that claim just at the time the biggest IP juggernaut of the world has bought up the biggest American comic book publisher/entertainment hybrid/Robert Downey Jr's piggy bank Marvel to the sound of 4 billion ka-chings?

Simple, because the concentration of the American market leaves two major publishers left standing, and hey, if it's your thing to be a glorified fan fiction writer (with better payment) for white men in tights, mice in red boxers or ducks... without wearing anything, good for you! Go for it! But know this, and I am sure you know it already every time you are alone with yourself, you are not a creator. You may be a brilliant craftsman, but creation and craft are not necessarily the same thing, even though they both start with the letter "c". If you are a writer, an author, and your biggest wish was to always write Superman? Again, good for you... but know that you are replaceable, will be replaced, without ever leaving a real mark. Nor will there be gratitude, and at the end of the day, for that job that you begged for, worked for, thought you were right for? There are at least three dozen fan fiction "creators" just as good, maybe better, than you are, and some of them may be the friend of the editor you thought you had such a good relationship with. MarDisney or TimeWDC, it makes no difference.

You are not a creator. You're the guy who keeps the engine running.

That is the one half of the American comic book market, and if you are an author (not an artist, artists come and go, are liked or not, but if they are talented, well, they can draw anything, really), the other half of the market, they do like original creation, oh yes, they like it like a cannibal served a buffett of babies drenched in BBQ sauce. If you are willing to work for free. If you are willing to put your baby on that buffett, extra crispy, mhmmmm mmm mmmh, finger-licking good! Give it us, have no fear, it will only hurt for a minute, think about the exposure!

And so, so long, goodbye, ciao, tschüss to the American comic book market for me. I will focus on writing novels, on writing screenplays and stageplays... but mostly novels. Some of them I will introduce you to over the course of this blog as they come along, for those three or four who did like the two comics I wrote. And to those, I can only say this: what you have liked was only roughly 60 percent of what they should have been, and what you can expect from the novels and book series I am working on... is the full 100.

Until then, me and my man Matt Nathanson will take it away.

Take it away, Mr. Nathanson...



This time, I'll be sailing
No more bailing boats for me
I'll be out here on the sea
Just my confidence and me

And I'll be awful sometimes
Weakened to my knees
But I'll learn to get by
On the little victories

This time, I'll have no fear
I'll be standing strong and tall
Turn my back towards them all

And I'll be awful sometimes
Weakened to my knees
I'll learn to get by
And I'll learn to get by
On the little victories
And if the world decides to catch up with me
It's a little victory.

(You can hear much more of Mr. Nathanson at his web site, and if you are wondering if this song sounds a little bit familiar, you may have watched Scrubs... and if you haven't, why the hell haven't you?)