February 18, 2010

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE: MASS HYSTERIA

Actually, there is one more thing that I want to say about It Takes A Wizard, and then I shall really shut up for the time being, because other things need to be written, are written, are being edited right now, and as much, uh, fun these columns have been... these new things are kind of important to me.

However, now that you know a few things, there is one more spread in the book I want you to compare, and that shows one more time you how much it was dumbed down in parts, raped and mutilated without my consent or knowledge.

This spread comes from Chapter Seven: The Eve Of Destruction, and it deals on two levels with worship as Everett talks about the past, while we see what is happening to Isaac in the present, just after he was revealed to his creation.

Let me give you a few spreads before, just as to provide context.

You can almost hear the writer roaring as he hammers away at the keyboard furiously. I'm going to Alan Moore the shit out of this, and fuck the limitations of manga! Rah! Rah! Rah! Every line, every piece of dialogue either enhances or contrasts the panels, every transition is carefully thought out (or so I tell myself as I dress in mighty robes, stand in front of my mirror, and whisper enchantments to tell Alan Moore; "I'm coming for you, you old bastard. You know magic? I know magic, and I'm going to bite your Roman snake god's head off!"

Funny aside here, when I told the publisher and the artist that I was going the full Watchmen when it came to transitions and to the idea of multi-layering dialogue, I was shocked to hear, yes, actually shocked that neither had never read anything by Moore and had no idea what I was talking about. Now, I can forgive a reader that. I can and I do. But when it comes to somebody in the industry? I consider that to be unforgiveable. A professional must know what is good/important/valuable in the industry they have chosen to work in. If you don't know these things, you are not a professional. That's like a movie producer telling you that he's never seen anything before 1999... oh, wait, that's a bad example.

Especially considering I once talked to a movie producer who had no idea, I repeat, no fucking idea about Where Eagles Dare. He looked at me with these vacant eyes of somebody who had nothing but a vacuum in his head, and finally said, "Isn't that the Disney movie?"

Here's a hint to all those so-called "professionals". Unless you don't know the history of your medium, unless you haven't read/watched all that is relevant, and by this I mean all the way back to Willhelm Bush (there are some that hint at old Japanese drawings from the 16th century, but since those drawings do not tell a story in motion, I consider those examples as mere forefathers of the graphic novel medium) when it comes to comic books and graphic novels, or all the way back to Milton when it comes to fantasy/horror/philosophy, or all the way back to at least Murnau when it comes to movies, don't fucking waste my time. I don't have the time nor do I have the inclination to explain shit to you that you as a "professional" should have at your fingertips. Nor do I have any respect for you, for you honestly do not respect your chosen profession. And that means the best you can hope for is to become an idiot savant, but more likely you will just be a retard with a business card.

Anyway, in these scenes I wanted to contrast the three strands of the plot as they all came together, (a) the fear of the military outside, (b) Isaac being recognised as god by his creation and (c) let Bonaventura reveal, in a subtle way, that this is exactly what he wanted.

And this brings us to the spread here, and this is what you should have read.


You know what my first thought was? Back then? When the reports came in? About monsters in Manhattan? Everett says, while we see the creatures surrounding Isaac, their god, having come back for them, and they all want a piece of him, want to be part of him, want to be touched by him (Incidentally, just as Olaf Stapledon once wrote in the mighty novel The Starmaker, one of the very notions of godhood is that you don't want, don't need and don't like to be worshipped. A creation always wants to worship its maker, the maker does not care that much about that adulation. Find the novel. Read it. It's good for a philosophical discourse... and it is the reason why Isaac just a few pages later tells them to Go! Away! )

Mass hysteria, Everett says. How could it have been anything else?

It reinforces the notion of godhood, of religion, of something that can drive you insane, of something that fucks with your mind, of something that stands far outside of what we conceive and perceive as scientifically proven reality.

Now, what did you read in the published version?

It's about time, Everett says in the same sequence. The chickens have come home to roost.

Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me? One of the most mundane, dumbest proverbs that has no relation to the scene at hand? And then it continues, and I'm not going to write it all down here, but dear god, what was overwritten there by the two retards at hand... makes me want to throw up in my mouth, even months later.