June 6, 2010

SOCIETY WATCH: THIS IS WHO WE ARE (AND DAMN THE ONES WHO TELL YOU DIFFERENT)


When the Eurovision Contest was on (and zey all lav lav lav'ed us), it wasn't even the win by Li'l Björk (Lena) that impressed me the most. Don't get me wrong. I still wuv her with all my heart, and I want to have my very own, to cuddle and huggle. I think we all deserve to have a little Lena. It wasn't Jessy Matador, either, who I still believe had one of the coolest Soccer World Championship songs ever with Allez Ola.

No.

It was this. This Flashmob compilation that took us all into the homes and on the streets of Europe. That celebrated our common ground and our differences. That showed us people. From everywhere.

Dancing.

People often ask me why I'm so damn angry. All the time.

It's this. This is how we are at our very best. People. The same. And different. And it's how we are supposed to be. And how we can be. How we should be. And every now and then, when the politicians shut the fuck up, when there's no hate, when there's no lies, when we are not manipulated into racial angst, fear and led into the darkness by those who see us only as their servants, as their workers, as their slaves, as their cannon fodder for their ideologies, for their religions, for their own benefit...

...this is what mankind is.

This is the reason why I haven't slashed my wrists yet.

Because there is hope.

There is still hope.

Even if it is only in a dance around Europe, for a few minutes.