July 2, 2010

THE WRITE STUFF: HOW TO CONDENSE YOUR ENTIRE STORY INTO ONE CENTRAL IMAGE (IT TAKES A WIZARD EDITION)

Since I said that plot is easy (and it is), the visualisation is key to everything.

One has to be able to write a teaser for the movie before even starting the screenplay. 2.30 minutes, maybe 3.00 minutes that tells you everything there is to entice audiences. Now, I know that the "normal" way is to not really worry about it until much later. And that thinking has given us trailers on top of trailers throughout the past ten years or so that – once we got through them – we didn't have to watch the movie anymore. And in a time of YouTube, that counts.  People now have the choice to leave you at the altar, unloved and unpaid. After those condensed "this is your movie" trailers.

What is the central image for It Takes A Wizard?

The goblins? The stand-off between Everett and Isaac? Hope going berserk on people's asses?

No. These are scenes, all of them. Some of them good scenes. Some of them, not so much. The central image is this. Isaac. With Hope. Facing all of the creatures. One man. Alone. And he tells them. "That's right. You know who I am. What I am. And what I can do." And they are afraid of him.

In terms of said teaser, it would play a little something like this.

Oh, and the first person to come to me and state that "this is not your problem, we'll have a director who will handle this, and a team of the best professionals will think about this," I strongly suggest reading my post on how the It Takes A Wizard logo came about.

You should read it very fast, though, because that swooshing sound behind you? That's my boot. And it's about to go up your ass. I will never, never want to ever hear the phrase "the best professionals" again. These professionals? They'll have to prove themselves... to me. No longer the other way around.

Because when somebody tells you that "the best professionals are going to work on this", what he means is that he hasn't even begun to think about the problem!

So, if you are one of those. Don't expect my respect.