August 9, 2010

SHERLOCK, OR: WHAT HAPPENS WHEN AN INTELLIGENT MAN UPDATES A LEGEND FOR THE 21ST CENTURY


Although I admit quite openly that I have some serious issues with remakes, updates, re-imaginings and things like that, every now and then something comes along that is worthy. Steve Moffat's Sherlock is that very rare thing

And I am dreadfully disappointed that they only produced three 90 minute movies so far, especially considering the beautiful cliffhanger ending last night revealing Moriarty in a scene so beautifully reminiscent of the Reichenbach Falls sequence in the original Conan Doyle stories.

I am not going to review the three movies here. I am here to tell you to find them, to buy them, to love and cuddle them, if you can, for they are cleverly constructed, they have some of the best dialogue I have heard in a long time (the one that you don't forget after two minutes, you know), and the use of the 21st century back-up brain (also known as smart phones) by Holmes is innovative, logical and done with visual excellence.

After the anal rape of Conan Doyle's creation last year by Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey, Jr, dumbing down eveything, making a mockery of the most brilliant synthesist of modern literature, here is something that gets everything right, down to the smallest detail, even putting Holmes' addictions to good use.

It was a three movie series.

It was a three patch problem.

Bring them back. And bring them back soon.

I like it when I am not insulted as a viewer.

Thank you, BBC.