October 3, 2010

OKAY, NOW I AM TOTALLY AGAINST THE "WE ARE ALMOST AT GROUND ZERO, BUT NOT REALLY, HAVE YOU SEEN THE TITTY BAR TWO BLOCKS SOUTH?" ISLAMIC COMMUNITY CENTRE (NO, REALLY)


I mean, come on. The designs they unveiled this week in New York look like a giant spider took a dump on a building, capturing poor innocent people inside a giant cobweb of concrete. And yes, I know that the star design is one of the predominant designs in oriental culture, and these buildings there can be quite beautiful, but this?


This here looks like something out of Aeon Flux, and not the fun animated series on MTV, but that horrible creative abortion starring Charlize Theron. This design reminds me of one of the debates in my country when it came to mosques, with people being afraid of giant onion-ringed domes shitting on organically grown cityscapes that are already being shat upon by "modern" architecture". Yes, every generation should leave an imprint on a city, on a landscape, but what the hell, why do people always need to choose the ugliest fuckers out of a competition?

For those that are sarcasm-challenged, of course I don't change my stand on the fact that it should be built there (neither am I going to change my stand on the fact that a gay club should be built just around the corner), but could somebody please tell people that it doesn't have to be ugly?