December 7, 2010

THE VOICE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE

For some reason I really hate musicals. Well, other than Disney musicals, but they don't count. And besides, I will happily sing along to "I just can't wait to be King", just so I can try and imitate Rowan Atkinson's part in that song. You do and try it. It's fun.

But other than Disney? I hate the Webber. I really hate the Streisand. And whenever somebody is starting to sing ABBA to me (or whenever I heard that in a dance club), I so completely want to vomit all of the place that it isn't funny. Not really. Show me an ABBA fan, and I'll show you a person I want to strangle. What's this got to do with anything? Uh, nothing really. No, wait. ABBA leads me to love, for the one woman I truly loved was one of them ABBA people.

Oh, dear god. How much I loved her?

I bought her the ABBA double disc Gold edition, even though it is easier for me to listen to the sound of a fingernail scraping across a chalkboard. It gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "love is pain".

And that - love, I mean - brings me to the one musical I do love. Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge. Maybe it's because it isn't a musical in the tradtional sense, maybe it's because the songs are esentially the songs I grew up with, and maybe it's because it is the last movie I truly liked Nicole Kidman in. Okay, that was partially because she was wearing a corset. So, sue me. But primarily it is because of this medley that somehow combines all the relevant bits about love, stealing mightily and craftily from the best and stitching them together like Frankenstein's monster.

It's this, most of all...
C: We could be heroes, just for one day.
S: You, you will be mean.

C: No I won't!
S: And I, I--I'll drink all the time.

C: We should be lovers.
S: We can't do that.

C: We should be lovers, and that's a fact.
Sung by Obi Wan Kenobi.

My inner geek just orgasmed.

Isn't that sad? o.O