December 2, 2010

WHY JULIAN ASSANGE IS AN IDIOT

If this statement by Assange's attorney is true...
 The only way the accused and his lawyers have been able to discover any substantive information regarding the investigation against him has been through the media Over the last three months, despite numerous demands, neither Mr. Assange, nor his legal counsel has received a single word in writing from the Swedish authorities relating to the allegations; a clear contravention to Article 6 of the European Convention, which states that every accused must “be informed promptly, in a language which he understands and in detail, of the nature and cause of the accusation against him”. The actions by the Swedish authorities constitute a blatant and deliberate disregard for his rights under the Convention.
... then the entire rape affair is a clear attempt at character assassination, not to mention illegal. But the thing is, Assange - as brave or as crazy or as courageous (take a pick) he may be - is also woefully stupid.

A rape charge is the easiest thing to put out there, and as a man the most difficult to combat, because as the reactions of so many so-called "commentators", "journalists" and "pundits" show, in rape, you are automatically presumed guilty and have to prove an unprovable:

That you had consentual sex.

Every false charge also diminishes and belittles those who have actually been raped, and finding out that is difficult enough already in normal life.

Let me put it this way, if I wanted to essentially kill a man, I'd do exactly this. I accuse of him rape. I place it in the media. I don't have put out a kill order (why make him a martyr?), I simply let that bubble up again and again, and each time, the timing so far has been impeccable. WikiLeaks (which despite the insistence of every corrupt politician worldwide is not  just Assange) gives the information to journalists (like my own country's DER SPIEGEL), 24 hours later -

- a modern newscycle, by the way -

- something comes from Sweden. And anybody who knows how the media works (and I do) knows that within that 24 window, you have the ability to ride the news cycle wave and stretch it for your own purposes. Why? Because all in all journalists today are not all that clever and react to news cycles in a very Pavlovian way.

Assange should have known that. And if I am the head of an organisation that apparently is more hated than them t'rrists, then the last thing I'd do is to go for random hookups.

I'd be a damn monk and in love with my right hand. Because I damn sure know that hand isn't going to go and sell me down the river.