January 4, 2011

THE CONVERSATION THAT COULD HAVE STOPPED THE PROPAGANDA LIES ABOUT SADDAM'S STATUE BEING TOPPLED BY "GRATEFUL IRAQIS"


It is worthy to note that in 2003 the propaganda of Saddam statue being toppled (one of the most iconic, for often repeated images on world-wide television, with barely anybody ever questioning to verify it) could have been prevented by a simple conversation, such as they should happen in every newsroom.

Only they don't happen. Not anymore. And even at the best of times, they barely ever did. And so, this is fiction, and it will likely make its way into my series THE CAGE, so don't think about stealing it, eh?

EDITOR
Don't bullshit me, girl. I'm watching the shit on television right now. You telling me that it's not what's actually happening?

GARRELS
I'm telling you that, yeah.

EDITOR
It's fake? Is that what you're saying? Just so that we are clear. That is what you're saying?

GARRELS
Yeah.

EDITOR
You willing to bet your ass on it?

GARRELS
Yeah.

EDITOR
That's good, because if you're doing this story, you're betting my ass on it, too, and I have grown rather fond of my ass. I like to sit on it. You know, here, on this chair. It's a good chair. My ass loves that chair. They, like, are almost married to each other, and my ass is too old to date another chair.

GARRELS
So we do the story?

EDITOR
Do the story.

The editor hangs up. Looks at the newsroom. Looks at the television screens that show the statue being toppled. Smiles.

EDITOR (TO HIMSELF)
Well - looks like we are going to have an exclusive.